Sunday, April 14, 2013

A New Home.

Yesterday we were invited to join our friends and their family to go bowling and out to dinner.  I have pretty much been crying at the drop of a hat all week but I know I need to get out and keep living life.  Plus, I had already broken down in the stands of a Major League Baseball game, what's a bowling alley?  I was expecting to cry at some point during the outing but I was not prepared for how quickly it happened.

When ever we go north, we drive by "the hospital".  It sits high above the city on a hill.  For me, it is like a bully waiting at the entrance of a playground to take my milk money and make me cry.  Sometimes I close my eyes and pretend to be asleep until we pass it.  Other times I have asked Josh to take a different route completely bypassing the city to get north.  This time I decided to stare it down and really look at the place where we spent the worst 30 days of our lives.

Because the hospital sits on a hill, the rooms have great views.  I spent a lot of hours staring out those windows and imagining our little family back out in the world together.  There is a hallway outside of the ICU that is lined with windows.  Most of them look at another part of the building but at the end of the hall you can see as far as the mountains.  You can also see the airport with planes coming and going all day long.  I would sit up in that windowsill when I needed a little break from all of the beeping of the ICU.  When Jack was sedated and intubated, people would try to get me to go for a walk, take a nap or just "take a break" but I never wanted to be too far.  I was afraid I would miss something important.  I just wanted to be as close to my baby as I could be.  The hallway was a safe distance in my mind.

I sat in that window, tucked my knees to my chest and watched the cars drive by on the tollway, coming and going, during rush hour or the middle of the day.  I would wonder where they were going, work?  somewhere fun?  on vacation?  All the time wondering if they knew how lucky they were to be outside in the world.  Did they have any idea that there were lives placed on hold and others hanging in the balance, so close to their commute?

Now we are the people cruising down the tollway heading to go bowling with friends.  I look up and I see the last place that Jack was in the world with us.  I see the last place I held hope for his recovery.  We fought for his life and lost there.  I see the last place I saw my baby smile.  We said goodbye there six months ago.  I can see the window of the corner room at the end of the hall where Jack died and the pain is physical.  What starts with a sniffle turns into a body shaking sob.  Just looking at that building....I don't even have words.  I asked Josh if we were just going to be stuck feeling awful every time we came in to the city.  Could it ever possibly get easier?  Will I ever drive by that building and not be flooded with tears?

In six weeks, we will move out of the home we shared with Jack.  Not by choice, our lease is not being renewed.  Some people have suggested that grief could be easier with a fresh start.  I love being in the home we shared as a family.  We did change the furniture around when we returned home without our son.  Our family helped clear the baby bottles out of the sink, move the swing from the living room and gather up everything from the nursery.  I just love sitting in the same window where I fed Jack all summer.  I love looking in the kitchen and remembering his bath time in the sink.  Looking over to where Josh would bounce him on his lap and make up songs for him.  Every now and again I find a pair of his pajamas or a tiny hat mixed in with my tank tops.  I like being where he was and where he lived.  It makes me so sad to think that in two months, we will drive by this special place but not be welcome inside anymore.

I have thought about wanting to leave the area completely and move far away.  That was my not-so-secret plan for a while.  I wanted to raise Jack where I grew up and with my friend's children.  I had it all planned out, block parties, play-dates and soccer games, it was going to be wonderful.  That doesn't feel right anymore.  I no longer have that desire to leave.  I want to be near where Jack was.  In his 4 months and 26 days here, Jack made this my new home.

Jack and I watched a lot of the Summer Olympics together.  We especially loved the women's gymnastics and their theme song by Phillip Phillips: "Home".  Now when I hear that song, I think of Jack.  I wonder if he had any idea that he was going to make this place my home?


Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road

And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home



Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found



Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home



Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found



Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home



2 comments:

  1. You're not alone. Love you, sweetie. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    Your writing always brings me to tears and all I want to do is throw my arms around you in a big hug. I am so grateful Jack made our little area of Maine your "Home". You are so loved and in my thoughts and prayers daily. xoxo HL

    ReplyDelete